Archive for April, 2014
As a little nod to my weekend plans, I’m just going to leave this here. Released in 1995; to be relived on Sunday.
This past weekend, Mom came up to visit. She hadn’t been to DC since early January, but she also came with the purpose of bringing lots of goodies I had stored at home (particularly kitchen goodies). I can now eat off plates and use real cutlery – fancy eh?
We also managed to knock out a few apartment updates that I thought I’d share. I’m really excited about sharing the ‘in progress’ moments so I can watch my first place evolve as I find my own home style. The big ticket items we scored this weekend were a couch (not yet delivered) and also updated bookshelves. I had these in my last place, but you might remember they were black. 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of Behr’s Parsnip later and ta -dah…
This is technically the back-side, but I tried to make the shelves do double duty so it was appealing to the eye from both sides; however, the shelves were definitely decorated with the side facing the door in mind first.
You might also notice a little updated bedding. I went all white trying to use bedding I had, adding in necessities like a new duvet cover, and sourcing 2 accent pillows from Marshall’s. I actually despise pillows that have no function so wanted to keep the extra pillows to a minimum. And to satisfy my own habits/quirks, both of these pillows are used daily.
Just to give you an idea of the space from the entry way, here’s before:
I’m definitely still missing a few big ticket items, but hopefully the couch will be delivered this week and the rest will fall into place. Here’s an updated list of to-do’s/must buy for the entire apartment. I haven’t shown you the closets, bathroom, or the work/desk area, but I’ve included updates below where needed. The closet and bathroom are pretty much sorted.
Buy white duvet cover Buy 4 standard, white pillow cases Add 2 decorative pillows
- Add decorative mirror or framed graphic over bed
- Add small rugs next to bed (maybe)
- Add picture frame shelving next to window (purchased, need to hang)
- Add soft curtains
- Add slipper chair if room
- Add graphic rug
- Add something on back wall over couch
- Frame out TV on long dresser and add picture wall
- Add lighting
- Update desk
- Update work area to be functional for both work and crafts
- Add graphics, small mirrors, etc to wall at entry
So yeah, still a fair way to go. I’ll keep you posted as I continue to update my space!
This might be the first time I’ve had for almost 2 weeks to sit down, write, and update you on life as it currently stands.
Two weekends ago, I traveled to Pittsburgh to celebrate Jenna and Sean as they tied the knot. I hitched a ride up to Pittsburgh with Kelly and her boo. To tie it all together so you get the connection – Kelly, Jenna, and I were roommates for 4 years. We had a lot of memories to share. We were there for each other’s ups, downs, and general WTF moments in life, so it was a really special weekend.
It was so nice to get away for the weekend; I, of course, had the best date at the wedding. All the ladies were totes jelly.
Now before you judge, we brought Edward as a special guest since Jenna used to be (maybe still is?) obsessed with Twilight. She’s even met some of the cast members. He was, naturally, a hit! The evening itself was filled with love and laughter and I was pretty chuffed with myself for capturing this amazing moment…
Just pure love. There were so many fun things about the wedding like the post-reception bowling, the tater-tot bar, and the cookie table; but the best was getting the mother of the bride drunk…a favorite past time of the roommates when we all lived together. Yes, that’s a flask. Get on board.
It took at least a day to recover after all the shenanigans, but it was definitely worth it. I didn’t have long to rest until I was out celebrating my own birthday and moving into my very first place! I wasn’t feeling the over the top party this year, for whatever reason, so I just had a few girls together for happy hour on Wednesday and then a fun dinner/night out on Saturday around 14th/U street.
But let’s rewind for a hot second, because I skipped right over moving into my very own place! It’s not much, but it’s mine…all mine! I’m still in my same neighborhood which I loved too much to leave and I’m now in a studio, but I don’t really need much more space. I did think about living in DC, but there were a few factors that kept me in VA and for now, I’m very happy with my decision. Maybe in a year, I’ll be ready to take that leap.
Of course, it doesn’t look like this now, but there is definitely a long way to go before it feels like home. I’m trying to hone my inner John and Sherry of Young House Love and live happily in the in-between. Half the fun I get from reading their blog is seeing a space evolve over time, so I’m trying to relish that in my place. To get the fun started, I did manage to hang this fun octopus from the YHL collection they just launched at Target. Fancy, eh?!
So yeah, that’s what I’ve been up to. I just can’t wait to bring you even more apartment updates as I DIY the shit out of the studio! Wheeeeeee!
I think over the past few months, I’ve become a little superstitious. OK, maybe a lot. I even hesitated to draft this blog, let alone actually publish it. But I decided that there’s nothing wrong with sharing the definitive things that are happening in my life and maybe I’ll honor my superstitious feelings by keeping the not so definitive things secret…for now.
With that said, if you have any extra ju-ju, luck, or happy thoughts floating around…send them my way? But now, for the things that are definitely happening!
1. I’m moving into my very own place. My FIRST place that will be completely inhabited by just ME! Sure, it’s a studio and I don’t own things like a couch (yet!) but I’m really excited to set up my life again. To feel validated by stuff, crafts, and dinners for 1. Move-in date: April 11.
2. I started doing a bit of freelance writing for a travel company. A BIG travel company that shall remain nameless but likes to advise people on their trips. It’s not a lot right now, but it is a great opportunity to a.) set myself up as a freelance writer and b.) work towards those big dreams (that I never even dreamed out loud) of being a travel writer.
3. My knee is officially on the mend and I finally feel like I’m back to getting in shape. I did some jumping and lighter hops in PT this week. To celebrate, I did some research on joining a crew team here in VA. Crew sort of came about as an idea earlier this year to meet new people and get into great shape when I started doing it at the gym as an alternate workout to running. I contacted the team today and plan on starting their Novice Sweep program in June (the earliest available).
4. I’m planning my end of year trip to Ireland (for a wedding) and now hopefully somewhere new and fun in Europe. I have a few friends in Germany that I’d love to visit and I’ve never been to Prague. I plan on giving myself an extra week after my friend’s wedding. Ain’t no thang to travel by myself anymore. If anything, I enjoy it.
So yeah…things are happening. It’s funny…the fortune teller in Bangkok (and my horoscope) said that things would start to fall into place around my 30th birthday and that my luck would only build from this point on. I don’t know if I waited for this moment or if this moment was waiting for me, but I do feel things changing and there is definitely a level of excitement deep in my belly that sends all the good shivers up my spine. In the end, I suppose it really just came down to me realizing that
this MY journey, is worth the effort.