Weekend review: On the mend

Last Thursday, I went in for ACL surgery. I came out the same day with a new ligament (courtesy of my hamstring) and of course, a fair amount of free time on my hands.

Mom came up for the surgery and is here for the next 2 weeks helping me hobble and heal. Even though I spend 95% of my days with one leg elevated and wrapped in a fancy ice pack, I’ve tried to make the other 5% interesting and enjoyable for my mom.

On Friday, we made homemade pesto sauce. It’s as easy as it sounds – basil, olive oil, salt, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and garlic. After that, all you need is a food processor or small blender to chop, chop, chop!

We made a decent amount of pesto and put it in ziplock bags to freeze. I’ll just break off a piece and defrost next time I want to use it.

On Saturday, BF and I took Mom to the White House for the Fall garden tour. Even though I couldn’t really walk, one of our friends was able to acquire a wheel chair for the occasion. I did manage to hop up for a picture perfect photo op in front of the south lawn. It was a gorgeous day and Mom got to see the Kennedy rose garden, Michelle’s garden, and even the White House beehives!

All in all, a really nice weekend, even if I haven’t been 100%. On the bright side, I’m officially on the mend and hope to be back on my feet in no time.

Advertisements

4 Comments»

  doranyc wrote @

Happy healing! The Pesto looks great. I love making pesto – so easy and delicious. And it’s great that you can freeze it – you really can’t tell the difference taste-wise.

  zigzagmags wrote @

thanks dora! i was really chuffed with myself since i’d never made it before. we used it the other day for baked chicken and it was fantastic!

  doranyc wrote @

YUM. Another fun usage: Salad dressing. For a full salad bowl, just add about a table spoon or 2 to a mix of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk it all together. It’s so good!

  zigzagmags wrote @

ooh, NOM! always looking to change up the salad dressing a bit and that sounds amazing. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

tinlizzieridesagain

Adventures in Bikeable Fashion

RAISING A RESCUE DOG

Because rescuing a dog is a commitment not a trend!

Hiking Photography

Beautiful photos of hiking and other outdoor adventures.

LilyPetal

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Joy Victory

Words are my weapons.

CAT IN WATER

Art. Design. Nature. Inspiration

Life of Roya

musings of Roya Ghorbani-Elizeh

Lauri's Blerg

Just another Vox refugee

the food matters project

you are what you eat

emily cawood

designer - builder - artist

Ross' WordPress Portal

Just another WordPress.com site

nest design studio { blog }

our everyday life as designers

Simple Savvy

Slow living, simply done

Going Dutch

and loving it

Lauowolf's Blog

Just another WordPress.com weblog

%d bloggers like this: